Symptoms of Hypothyroidism
- FATIGUE: Are you tired all the time? Severe Fatigue? – This is a pretty common complaint made by many people.
- COLD HANDS and FEET: Do you Feel cold? hands are cold? tips of your feet are cold? nose cold? Sleep with your socks on?
- SLEEP PROBLEMS: Do you require an excessive amount of sleep and still feel tired? Do you go to sleep at 9 or 10 pm and wake up feeling just as tired as you were when you went to bed? Do you feel like you never rested? Do you feel that without your morning coffee- you will never make it through the day?
- WEIGHT PROBLEMS: Inability to lose weight or keep it off? No matter what kind of diet or exercise you do?
- DEPRESSION: Are you depressed, have anxiety or frustrated because no one can tell you what’s wrong with you?
Here Are Some Facts
Interestingly, 1 in 8 woman will develop Thyroid Disease, so, you’re not alone! I imagine if you said yes to more than three of these symptoms listed above, you will need a more thorough Thyroid workup including T3, Reverse T3 and Thyroid antibodies, not just TSH. According to American thyroid association, an estimated 27 million Americans have some form of thyroid disease.
Even though 1 in 8 women develop a thyroid disorder in their lifetime and up to 60 percent of those with thyroid disease are unaware of their condition. They have no idea and they are suffering with these symptoms needlessly, not enjoying their life like they envisioned.
So, you may be thinking, why do so many people have a thyroid problem and don’t know it.
One word- M I S D I A G N O S I S.
This is what happens in many doctors’ offices throughout the country. The patient reports to their doctor about their symptoms and asks to have their thyroid checked. The doctors agree to check the thyroid. Then the patient receives a phone call from the nurse of the doctor and is told “your TSH is normal”.
- BOWELS: Do you experience constipation or diarrhea? How about feeling bloated? This is also a common consequence of low thyroid function.
- HEADACHE: Do you start your day off with a headache?
- THINNING HAIR: Is your hair thinning? Are your eyebrows thinning on the outer 1/3 of the brow? Hair loss is a very common problem, while thyroid is not the only cause of hair loss and it’s not the only hormone I think of when a person is losing hair, a thorough workup of the hormones and nutritional status can help identify the cause.
- DRY SKIN: Dryness of skin, and scalp-here again while this may not be caused solely by low thyroid, but, it’s hard to correct these problems when you are hypothyroid.
- BRAIN FOG: Brain fog is a very common problem seen in many people with a low thyroid. Problems with focus, concentration and just making unnecessary mistakes are a clue. Sometimes learning new things or just having to re-read directions for clarity can be a symptom.
Here’s the deal.
- #1- Testing TSH and/or T4 is simply a screening test. This “short version testing” is what most doctors are using to determine whether a person has a thyroid problem or not. However, looking at ONLY these two tests is almost USELESS.
- #2- The laboratory “reference ranges” for these two thyroid lab markers is extremely broad and not specific enough. Take for example the TSH range (0-5 to 5.0) That’s a wide range! (And these ranges vary from one geographic location to another)
When it comes to the Thyroid, the reference ranges you want to reference are called Functional Thyroid Ranges. The reference range, if you have a copy of your blood work, may go from .5 up to 5.0. This is a WIDE range! Therefore, you want to familiarize yourself with Functional Thyroid ranges. Functional Thyroid ranges are what you want to use to monitor the function of your Thyroid gland.
If you have had your Thyroid tested, did your Panel include these Markers? If not, evaluating your Thyroid Function is not possible. Schedule a Free Discovery Call, if you would like to discuss further!
- Free T4
- Total T3
- Free T3
- Reverse T3
- TPO antibodies
- TGB antibodies
- T3 uptake
- TBG (optional)
- TSI (optional)
Take The First Step Today On Your Journey Back To Health
We are offering a peripheral neuropathy consultation, including a thermal scan, to visualize the damage. (See the disease for the first time!)" Get Your Freedom Back~Follow the Link Below.